Improved Posture is one of the Benefits of an Exercise Ball
Physical therapists have used exercise balls, also called stability balls, for many years. Now these balls have become popular in many workout routines.
Stability balls are inflatable balls used for physical therapy, yoga and general strength training. They strengthen your core muscles, improve posture and help prevent back pain. The balls are available in different sizes to fit users of varying heights.
To perform most exercises, you should be able to sit on the ball with your knees at 90 degrees. However, it is better to use different size balls. This will allow for more variation in your workouts.
To get the most out of fitness balls, it is recommended to buy an exercise book or DVD on exercise ball training. Regular stability balls cost about $20. Large sizes that are burst resistant to 500 lbs cost about $50. Books and DVDs cost about $20-50.
These are some of the benefits:
- Exercises strengthen muscles in your lower back, chest and arms.
- The balls improve flexibility in general and tone your muscles.
- They can help you reduce weight. Working out a few minutes a day will help burn calories.
- Many of the exercises will improve your balance and posture.
- Anybody can do the exercises.
- They are portable, lightweight and can be taken along when traveling.
- Balls are inexpensive.
Return to Exercise Equipment from Benefits of an Exercise Ball
Go to Fitness Balls
Go to Balance Boards